Friday 25 May 2007

Benayoun Pens New Deal

The club has announced this afternoon that 'much-sought-after' midfielder Yossi Benayoun has agreed a new five-year deal to keep him at Upton Park until 2012. Benayoun, who has made 55 Premiership starts for the Irons since moving from Racing Santander for £2.5 million in 2005, was rumoured to be a target for a host of clubs, including both Tottenham and Arsenal. "I'm very pleased to have agreed this new deal," said the Israel international. "From the first moment I arrived at West Ham, the Club felt like home to me. We have the best supporters in England. The natural thing for me was to sign a new deal and I'm very happy because I want to stay at this Club. I'm sure we'll have a better season next season because we have players with a lot of quality. We will also have new players coming in to make us stronger and better. I'm very pleased because it is the best place for me. The Chairman is very ambitious and I want to thank him because the negotiations were very quick. He and the manager showed me they wanted me to stay immediately. Hopefully I will pay them back on the pitch and I will do everything in my power to match their ambition." Eggert Magnusson stated: "We are very ambitious and Yossi is a big part of our plans. I'm very pleased to have agreed terms to keep him at the Club for five more years. We are looking forward to bringing in exciting new signings but we must also make sure we keep hold of the hugely talented players we already have."

One of those 'exciting new signings' could be Reading defender Nicky Shorey. The Daily Mail claim Alan Curbishley wants the player as the first piece in his extensive rebuilding programme. The 26-year-old Shorey has been one of the foundations behind the Royals' successful first season in the top flight, starting 37 of 38 league games and narrowly missing out on a place in the PFA team of the year. Romford-born Shorey is a known West Ham fan with family connections to the club, yet it could take a bid in excess of £5million to land the England B international.

Finally, The Cub today also confirmed that Hammers goalkeeper Roy Carroll has asked to leave Upton Park so that he can play regular first team football and has been granted a free transfer. Paul Konchesky and John Pantsil have also stated their desire for first team action and will be allowed to leave when an appropriate transfer offer is made that is acceptable to the Club

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news, now if we can just keep hold of Tevez, Reo Coker and Anton Ferdinand.

Anonymous said...

Wouldnt worry about keeping Ferdinand, he is a big time charlie and we could do without him, he was poor last season and seems to believe his own hype after great first season. Now appears only the likes of Newcastle want him so he cant be that good. As much as i hate to say but Reo coker is off to Spurs!

 

Copyright 2007 ID Media Inc, All Right Reserved. Crafted by Nurudin Jauhari