Friday 1 June 2007

Confusion And Nausea

There was some confusion this afternoon when an Agency story broke confirming the signing of Scott Parker. The report, as featured in the Guardian, says the Newcastle midfielder has signed for an undisclosed fee believed to be in the region of £7million. It is also states that the prospect of teaming up with his former manager was a major factor in the player's decision to opt for the East End club ahead of Tottenham Hotspur, who were also interested in securing his signature. Sky Sports News then carried the story but still without any confirmation from either club involved. Later in the day the Daily Mail also picked up on the news but insisted that, while a fee had been agreed, the transfer would not actually be completed until next week when Parker returns from holiday in Portugal. The article contained a quote from West Ham deputy chief executive Scott Duxbury, who confirmed: "We have not yet spoken to the player. I will be speaking to the agent but, in the meantime, nothing will happen until early next week."

Also featured on Sky Sports News this afternoon was a nauseating interview with Nigel Reo-Coker. The West Ham skipper told of the "hurt" and "heartbreak" which has prompted him to hand in a transfer request, saying he has decided on a move after he was not given the right assurances over his future by the club's board. Reo-Coker said: "I don't think I have been supported at the club. There has been a lot of negative press which was very hurtful - I was proud to be at West Ham regardless of what was in the press. I thought I should be with the club and I enjoyed my time there, so it's very disappointing and heartbreaking to see I'm not wanted there." Of course, there was no mention of the player's terrible attitude, woeful performances, disrespectful behaviour and general lack of heart for two thirds of a calamitous season. At least he was more forthcoming about his future plans. "There's no progress - I don't know where my future lies. Until I know something it's all about the England Under 21s, preparing mentally and physically for this summer's tournament (the European Championships). I don't pay attention to the clubs I am being linked with. It's just about being professional and concentrating on the Under 21s. I've always been a team player and that's one of the things I believe in. It's very sad, to leave a club under these circumstances - but it's part of football and part of life."

Lastly, there was news from Carlos Tevez after almost a week of silence. As the Argentine striker continues preparations for this summer's Copa America, Tevez told TyC Sports that he was still in the dark over his future but he could very well stay at West Ham. "Regarding what I am asked every day, I still don't know what I am going to do in the future," Tevez stated. "West Ham has the priority for keeping me in the team. It has been said that there are several offers for me but West Ham has the first choice on me. I speak all the time with my agent about what I will do in my career and for the moment I am still a player of West Ham."

No comments:

 

Copyright 2007 ID Media Inc, All Right Reserved. Crafted by Nurudin Jauhari