Monday 18 January 2010

Junior Stanislas: The Boy's A Bit Special

I intended to add this a few months ago but I never got round to it. Junior Stanislas was in The Boy's A Bit Special segment of the November issue of FourFourTwo...

The Boy's A Bit Special...
Junior Stanislas

Born: Eltham, 26/11/89

Position: Midfielder

Nickname: I don't really have a nickname, people normally just shorten my name to June or Ju.

Team supported: Liverpool. Growing up my brother was a massive Liverpool fan so I ended up supporting them too. Now, though, he has got a soft spot for West Ham and comes to all my matches.

Strengths: I like running at defenders. I'm also good from set-pieces- I haven't had much of a chance to show what I can do from free-kicks for the first team yet, but I have for the reserves. I'm a creative player but I can score goals as well.

Weaknesses: Every area can be improved but the main one is my heading. Maybe because I've always taken the free-kicks and corners it's not as strong as it could be, but it's getting there.

I play a bit like: People say I play a bit like Ashley Young, in the sense that I like taking players on and have pace, which are obviously his strengths too.

Highlights: My debut for West Ham against West Brom was fantastic, I came on with 20 minutes to go. Probably the proudest moment was scoring on my full debut against Sunderland when we beat them 2-0 at Upton Park. Greeny [Robert Green] threw it out and we broke quickly. I remember the ball eventually arriving at my feet about two yards out and i just thought, "I can't miss". Luckily, I didn't! I just looked up to the sky and thanked God.

Lowlights: Playing for West Ham's youth team and losing 6-1 to Arsenal- that's the worst I've ever felt walking off a football pitch. We were awful, well I say we, but I did get the goal so I didn't do too bad. The worst thing was that they weren't even that good, it was just that every time they had the ball they scored!

Toughest opponent: Everyone I've played against since I broke into the first team has been good but there aren't many better than Herita Ilunga. I've only played against him in training but he's top quality. He's quick and strong and will be a real nightmare for attackers this season.

Best player played with: I don't think I could name one, I've played with a lot of top players at West Ham. Mark Noble and Ilunga are up there but I'm lucky I'm playing in a side packed with quality.

Biggest influence: Probably my mum. She's supported me throughout my career and every time I've been down or had doubts she has picked me up, not just in football but in life.

Club joker: There are jokers everywhere- Jimmy Walker is a big joker, so is Mark Noble- but my favourite is Matty Upson. He's a serious guy but his jokes are amazing. He'll make something simple really funny, maybe because he looks so serious most of the time.

Wheels: BMW 3 Series

Flicks: I'm struggling here, but I think the last one I saw was The Day The Earth Stood Still with Keanu Reeves. That was horrific, very poor.

Chicks: Everyone always seems to go for Jessica Alba, but now she's a bit of a common choice I'll punt for Christina Milian.

Holiday destination: I would love to go to Brazil. I've heard it's incredible, a bit moody, but an amazing country.

If I hadn't been a footballer: I'd be a coach or a scout. I was scouted by Paul Senior, the guy that spotted Rio Ferdinand and Glen Johnson. He has obviously got an eye for talent and I reckon some of that has rubbed off.

Tell us something we don't know about you: I'm half St Lucien so I could play internationals for them if I wanted... but I don't. I'm planning to go out there next year, can't wait.

In five years time... If all goes well I would like to be playing for England, I'd love to be the next player from West Ham Academy to do that.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Weaknesses: Dribbling left

 

Copyright 2007 ID Media Inc, All Right Reserved. Crafted by Nurudin Jauhari